Sunday, February 26, 2012

A Weekend of Highs and Lows

This post isn't about me, but rather two people who have shapped the rider I am today.

This past weekend was Pine Top Advanced Horse Trials. My current trainer/best friend, Lindsey Solorzano, took Taylor to contest her first advanced horse trial. Over the past 6 years that I have known Lindsey, I have always promised that I would be at her first advanced. So when I had a bride wanted to book their wedding on February 25th, I felt terrible that I couldn't go with her. Luckily, Kristin, a new friend for me, was able to go with her. I'm very happy to say that Lindsey completed her first advanced in style among some of the biggest riders and horses in the world. I am incredibly proud to be her client/friend, and I am so happy that all of her dreams are finally materalizing, and her hard work is paying off. To top off her great run on Taylor, Ramsey finished 7th in a strong prelim group. She bought Ramsey a year ago, and he has quickly become a fantastic upper level horse for her.

On a somber note, in the middle of my wedding Lindsey called me. She had already texted me that she had gone clean, so I knew that everything was ok with her. The call was followed up with a text message that shocked me. Lindsey and I first met when we were both riding with Megan Moore. Lindsey's text message read that Megan's horse, Hopper, had suffered a brain aneurism on course and had passed away. Megan purchased Hopper right before I started riding with her, and I was fortunate to watch his first event ever at River Glen, his first intermediate, and his first one star. I would never wish this sort of heart break on anyone. I know how much Hopper meant to Megan, and I extend my deepest condolensense to Megan and her Dad, Howard. I wish I could find the pictures that I took of him at his first event.


On a happier note, things have been quite busy around the farm...well as far as my phone is concerned. Spring has sprung here so my phone has been ringing with all my 4-H girls ready to start lessons again! Allison brought Lucy out for a lesson today and had the maiden voyage in their new trailer! The Finks are taking a vacation on Spring Break, so Lucy will be coming to the farm for some jumping boot camp to prepare for 4-H Districts. Kim, another client, will be bringing Chocolate the pony for some training in hopes that another student will lease him out! I also received a message from a friend that I had class with in school, and she may be bringing her Thoroughbred Rufus to board with us. And on a final note, one of my favorite horses I have trained is returning to the farm tomorrow. Parker is now a 9 year old, and he isn't quite working out for his current owner. Parker is best in a program and he thrived when I had him at Jenna's while I was working with her. So Parker is coming back for some training and work, and hopefully we can find an adult amateur that he can have some fun with!

Parker at May-Daze HT in 2008, where he finished 1st

I'm done with weddings until the 24th of March, so my weekend are going to be taken over by my horses, and I wouldn't have it any other way! The 10 and 11, Buddy will be going to Lakeside to do some jumpers, and Chocolate and Parker may go play in the Hunters. The 17th Parker and Buddy are going to Snowbird dressage, and the 31st Buddy and Parker will be competing at the Paul Frazer Combined Test.

Go give your horses a kiss and an extra carrot, I know I did today!

No comments:

Post a Comment